Braid and twist wigs are used a lot by black women. Despite the different styles, but overall, these 2 hairstyles look quite similar. Braids and twists are both stylish and splendid styles.
These hairstyles will help women stand out. But they also bring some disadvantages like poor flexibility and low maintenance, especially during the summer months when you want to go out in the sun. Therefore, if you use braid or twist wig then learn how to maitain so they can last longer. Certainly the amount of investment to buy a wig is not cheap. Who wants to spend money or time making their hair look good with just braiding to see it drop down quickly after 2 weeks? So to ensure that your investment will not be a waste, we will give you some tips on how to maintain your braid or twist wig.
#Tip 1: How to protect braid or twist wig
No matter what material you your wig is made of, human hair or synthetic fibers, you should always protect your wig every time you go out. When traveling, especially when traveling on a convertible car at a high speed, you should put your hair in front of your chest to limit the wind to disturb your hair and dry it out. In addition, the braid or twist wig must not be exposed to rainwater or exposed to the sun.
After each use, take it off and spray the balm, put it in a nylon bag, tie it tightly. In order to keep your hair in a smooth and curled manner, you should remember not to hang your hair outside. Wrap it neatly into the bag, squeeze the air out, because when the wig is exposed to the air, it will easily dry out.
#Tip 2: How to clean braid and twist wigs
The wig should be cleaned 2-3 times after being used. If not cleaning the wig regularly, bacteria can arise causing itchiness or head fungus. Here are the steps to clean your wig:
- Step 1: Preparation: shampoo, 1 basin of water (do not use hot water);
- Step 2: Put shampoo in a basin of diluted water;
- Step 3: Let the wig soak in the basin for about 5 to 10 minutes (just soak the hair by hand, because it will make hair tangled);
- Step 4: After soaking hair with shampoo, rinse with water;
- Step 5: Continue to add conditioner to dilute water basin. Soak hair similarly with shampoo and rinse with water. You should use a conditioner specifically designed for wigs with high conditioning properties to help restore hair.
- Step 6: Then, let the hair out with a soft towel and gently absorb water (do not use your hands to rub hair).
- Step 7: When the hair is about 70% – 80% dry, smooth it by hand and spray it with water to make it dry completely. Thus, the job is complete.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to spend too much time cleaning your hair with water, you can use a dry shampoo, but it’s only a temporary solution. When your wig is washed with water, you can be sure to remove dirt and sweat from your hair.
#Tip 3: How to untangle the wig
After using a wig, your hair will get tangled, especially the products made from rayon, and if you don’t know how to brush it, your hair will fall out. Braid and twist hair are often braided, so they are less likely to get tangled. But when it gets messed up, you can handle it the following way.
- Case 1: If the hair is not too tangled, it just comes out a little. Use your hands to smooth the hair back into the fold.
- Case 2: If your hair gets tangled a lot, carefully remove it knots one by one, and braid it yourself, following the old fold of hair to make it. But we do not encourage you to do this, because if you have no experience doing this or don’t know how to do it, you will ruin your wig yourself. So round this case we recommend that you wear wig service out so that they can do it for you.
#Tip 4: Take care of your braid and twist wig
Use hair moisturizer
There are many products that can help moisturize your hair, of which natural is best. You can use coconut oil, banana with olive oil or honey and apple cider vinegar.
How to use coconut oil to moisturize hair:
- Step 1: Rinse the wig with water then let it dry until it is just slightly damp;
- Step 2: Apply coconut oil to your hair;
- Step 3: Leave it on for about 2 hours for coconut oil to seep into the scalp;
- Step 4: Wash the wig with diluted shampoo and conditioner to remove any greasiness;
- Step 5: You can do this method 1 – 2 times a month.
Use hair oils to condition your hair
Here’s how to use hair oil:
- Step 1: Wash the wig with shampoo and conditioner as usual. Use a soft cloth to gently wipe dry hair.
- Step 2: When the hair is only slightly damp, apply essential oils to the hair.
- Step 3: Wait 2-3 minutes and then apply a little more essential oil to the ends of the hair. Pat your hair to allow the essential oils to penetrate into your hair.
- Step 4: Let hair dry naturally.
Use a hair serum
Serum only really works if you know how to use it correctly. Here’s how to use a simple hair serum you can try:
- Step 1: Clean hair by washing hair with hair conditioner shampoo to remove dirt and sweat from hair as well as on wig cap, helping soft hair to absorb nutrients.
- Step 2: Use a towel to dry or dry hair to 70% after washing your hair. Never completely dry your hair, as damp hair is the best condition for using a serum.
- Step 3: Put the hair serum on the palm of your hand and start to apply it from the hair shaft down to the ends and let the hair dry naturally.